Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Painting... Burlap vs. Burlap

This is more a venting session for me than an update on my blog!!!

For the the last few days we've had the painters in our house. Today was the first day that they actually put our colors on the wall. I stopped by this morning and got super excited when I saw the kiddo bedrooms... One is bright blue, one is a gorgeous serene green color and another I picked a tan color that didn't make the final cut for the rest of my house. By that point that had only gotten to the 3 smaller bedrooms and not our Bonus Room and Master Bedroom.

Then I stopped by this evening on my way home from my day out and...EEEEEEEEEEEK!!!
(Horror music should be playing in your head while you are reading this!)

I walked into my master bedroom and it looks awful! We chose a tan color for 2 walls (Inside Passage) and a chocolate brown color (Burlap) for the other 2 walls and part of our master bath (For those of you who saw the brown that was on my walls in the San Diego house - I wanted to re-use that brown some where in my new house.)

When I walked in... I saw this mossy greeny brown DARK funky color on my walls... not the pretty Brown from San Diego. I knew it was wrong right away, but both Shane and I couldn't figure out what happened. The painters are insisting they bought the right paint and when you look at the can, it does say Burlap. Luckily I still had my paint sample sitting around. I put MY version of Burlap on a board next to theirs and it's obviously the WRONG COLOR! It's bad! And I'm freaking out a little. But I think I finally figured out what happened. My color, Burlap is from Ralph Lauren... The one they bought was the brand Dunn Edwards... same name, but obviously NOT the same color... which I made sure was clear which paint color they should have bought.

Anyway, I feel a little better knowing what happened, but I'm a little worried about the painters.. I'm going to make them re-paint my master bedroom. Poor Guys! Below is a sample of the colors I picked to give you an idea:



The color to the left is Ralph Lauren - Burlap... The color to the right is Dunn Edwards - Burlap.


On the other hand.. WHAT A DIFFERENCE SOME PAINT MAKES! Wow! With just some paint they've taken a dingy old house that was all one ugly color of Painter's beige/off white and transformed it into a custom house made just for us.

I'm getting super excited! They've only done the upstairs rooms so far and I love every other room they have done! I can't wait to see what the downstairs will look like... Luckily the only place I am putting Burlap is in our bedroom.. the rest of the house is safe aganst any more nightmares... (I hope.. knock on wood and cross my fingers!)

Here's the color combo I am putting in my master bedroom, if it's done right, but now I'm still a little nervous about the combination and wonder if I should be changing my mind and just sticking to one color only? Is this combo too risky???:




OH! And for anyone who is wondering about a great website for helping pick paint colors without having to run to the store ever other minute to get a paint chip every time someone suggests a new color for you to try.. try this website.

www.myperfectcolor.com

It was a life saver for me.. Just type in the color and wall-la! All the brands who have a paint color in that name will come up for you to choose from. It's awesome.. even if you aren't painting any time soon, try out this website and have a little fun. Here are some other colors we picked for our house: Flintstone & Foggy Day, Birchwood (LOVE!), Fly A Kite, Glass Tile.

HAPPY PAINTING!

2 comments:

Collette said...

WOW! Looking at the paint chips on my screen.. they don't look the same as on Myperfectcolor.com. For example, my Inside Passage isn't yellow! Oh Well.. hopefully you get my point!

Stefany said...

Wow. The color difference between what you had and what they had is quiet different. I love these colors ! I can't wait to see the finished product!