My kid LOVES going to church. He asks me to go all through out the week. I love this, because I want him to want to be there. So by the time Sunday morning comes, and we start to put on our church clothes Mason starts his little happy dance. He says:
"YAY! Church today Mommy! Church today!"
He will skip around the room exclaiming this for a good 10 minutes. He then will proceed to help me pack his quiet bag and help me find his church shoes. Shane and I think this is so cute. It's not the first hour that he loves... It's NURSERY! Once we get there he must ask me every 5 minutes... "Nur-ser-y??? Mommy? Nur-ser-y? Sister Ponce? (his teacher)" Then when we finally start to sing the closing hymn, he's dumping is quiet toys into the bag as fast as he can.. patiently, but barely gets through the closing prayer and as soon as he hears Amen, he almost every time will explain - "GOOD JOB! Nursery? Let's GO! Nursery? Go to Nursery Mommy?"
So let me pick up the story from this point. We went through this entire ritual as before mentioned and I was gathering my things to go drop him off at nursery. He's practically dragging me down the isles and through the hall to get to nursery when all of a sudden... SMACK! He slams his head into one of the display boxes in the hall. He let out a good yelp, and I had to hold him for all of maybe 10 seconds... but then he instantly remembered where we were going and wanted to run into nursery, so I thought.... huh... he got over that quickly... must not have been to bad. So I followed him in and I went in to talk to his teacher, Sister Ponce, while Mason goes straight to the toys. Then, out of the corner of my eye, I see bright red on his church sweater. My heart drops and I start walking over to him. (by the way, he's happily playing on the floor with the nursery toys by this point... completely oblivious to the blood dripping down his head.) I'm trying to not make a big deal of it so I don't scare him, but I'm starting to freak out a little bit. I ask if someone can bring me a tissue so that I can start to wipe the blood off and the next thing I know I'm surrounded by a whole medical team. No Joke. I had two doctors, a few nurses, the primary president, the bishop's wife, and every mom who has ever had a kid split their head open before.
I guess if my kid had to split his head open, I can't think of a better place I would have wanted it to happen. I was already debating which emergency room was closest and taking suggestions from my group of concerned mothers when one of the doctors in the ward comes in with a full medical emergency kit he had in his car. Within minutes Mason's head was examined, cleaned, numbed, and glued back together. I hardly had a chance to think it all through before my kid was sitting there in front of me sucking on a lolly pop hardly phased by the whole ordeal.
Mason never made it back to nursery this morning. We decided it would be best for him to go home and take it easy. And of course, my kid kicked and screamed the whole way to the car... "NO!NO!NO!NO! CHURCH TODAY MOMMY!" Poor kid! He went through all of that and didn't even get to do what he had been waiting for all week.
Anyway... Again... I pose the question... Church... A safe place???
In this circumstance, I would have to say YES! (Although, I may have to petion for the removal of the bulletin boards in the hallways of churches.. j/k. =)
I don't think I could have found better treatment in an emergency room!! I knew there were a lot of talented people in my ward, but today I got to see first hand what a ward family really and truly means and I'm grateful to all who helped out in our family's little ordeal.

Here's a picture of my cute kid tonight!
6 comments:
That is the cutest story! How awesome that you have such talented and prepared people around you!
What a relief to not have to go to the dreaded ER. So good to find your blog and keep updated with your happenings. It sounds like you guys are doing well!
Poor Mase... I love that he loves church! I remember once when he was younger (probably 1 or so), I was showing him pictures in our house, and I pointed to a picture of Christ, and asked who it was, and he said, "Jesus!" So precious...
Ahhh- how sweet and what a great ward to be in. I think I am moving there before my Gabriella gets to much bigger.
I, personally, am just glad to know that the great mase takes after me. i mean, he beat me by a couple years, but i have him on the number of times... breaking your head open... it's the new in thing! let it be known that i started it. and i'm glad that mase has decided to jump on board! :)
ps. this is a joke and i'm sorry that he is hurting. it really is no fun to break your head open. trust me, i know! :)
That's hilarious...he's so tough. I wish he could teach my little Drew to love nursery too!
Post a Comment