On the way down the elevator today on the way to meet with ANOTHER surgeon, Mason turns toa perfect stranger and says:
"I'm going to the Dr today to get my OLD life back! I'm tired of this new life!" As soon as the elevator doors open, he marches out like hes on a mission!
I didn't know whether to laugh or cry!
He's the cutest almost 4 year old in the world.
I'm always wondering what is going on in his head as we go through these very grown up things lately.
As I was applying sunscreen to his face this morning (a new daily ritual that he HATES!), I was explaining to him how important sunscreen now is in our new world. He wanted to make it clear that he DOES NOT like SCUM SCREAM! (I have to laugh at his new name for sun screen!) It's hard to explain to a screaming child that the "Scum SCREAM" will hopefully one day save his life. But of course that is what I happened to tell him this morning under my breath while he was screaming. "Mason, you will one day thank Mommy for this! This may be the very thing that helps you have a VERY long life!" Of course the only thing he could tell anyone for the rest of the day was "I'm SICK of this new life! I'm working on getting my old life back!"
I sure hope so buddy! Minus the dismissal of "SCUM SCREAM" in our world, that is why we are putting you through all of this! So you can get back to the normal life of an almost 4 year old and not have to deal with the very adult world of Melanoma and cancer.
Tomorrow Mason is having another surgery to place a Port-a-Cath into his chest. The port will help with administering the medicine during the one month of therapy (Interferon!). I so wish he didn't have to keep being put under anesthesia. It's never very much fun, but the surgery is considered to be minor.
We have a start date for Interferon. April 5. 5 days a week for 4 weeks straight! I was really hoping we would be done with it by Mason's 4th birthday so we could throw him the ultimate birthday bash, but sadly he will be right in the middle of treatments on his birthday!
I wish I could find the fast forward button on this part of our life. If only we could be on the other side of Interferon. I have tried to explain to Mason that he is going to have to get medicine for a month, but after that month is over he's going to be one step closer to getting his old life back. Hopefully that means preschool, play dates and fun summer, oh, and who can forget that BIG BIG party coming Mason's way to celebrate his birthday and the END of Interferon!
3 comments:
I say, trash all the rest of the explanations & tell him that after the medicine is over, he gets a big party! make a count-down calendar & let him cross off each day, or make a paper chain & let him rip off one link per day until there are no links left & its party day! I think having a tangible, visual representation of the countdown will make it more real for him & help him see the light at the end of the tunnel! Especially since the interferon will make him sick & life will be no fun for a while. Having a huge party to look forward to always helps!! :)
That elevator story makes me laugh and cry, too...he is too funny. I wish I was there to give him a big hug and buy him ice cream! Miss you guys!
I'm still praying for your little guy and can't help but think about him all of the time with my almost 4 year old boy. Hang in there brave mommy and daddy. It sounds like the best boy in the world has the best mom too.
Post a Comment