Monday, November 10, 2008

In Times Like These...

I haven't felt much like blogging this last week or so. I've had a heavy heart over the past week after the election as I sit and watch the news or read the paper, or articles on the internet. I find myself even avoiding things that I truly love just so I can avoid having these heavy feelings. During times like these, I'm glad to have read an article like this that was posted on Meridian Magazine's website.

I also received my Ensign in the mail this last week that went over the talks given this past October in General Conference. This couldn't have come at a better time to help my heavy heart. I feel so blessed to be part of a church that gives us great words of wisdom from our leaders every 6 months. The article that especially helped me to "re-charge" my batteries and have a little more 'Courage' is the one on Christian Courage: The Price of Discipleship.

I promise that I will be doing some 'catch up' blogging over the next week or so. We have had so many things happening over the past few weeks and I can't wait to share them all with you!

6 comments:

Jessica said...

I've had the same heavy feelings about the recent events...relief that prop. 8 passed, yet concern about the immediate protests. Thanks for pointing out the talk by Elder Hales from conference...I know we can always find peace through the words of God's servants.

Stephanie said...

I thought that once the voting was over I'd be able to sleep again. Wrong. That was a good article. I finally had a conversation about this with one of my no on 8 sister in laws. Not that I necessarily changed her mind, but she was under the impression that the yes side just hated gays. She had no idea about half of the stuff I shared with her. It's sad that the no side only sees hate, when that has nothing to do with it. I told her how we're all for equal rights, and under the law, they already have them with domestic partnerships. I don't think she even knew that. I think it's easy for people to jump on a bandwagon to fight inequality, I just wish they'd do their research first. Meanwhile, I'm still confused at how people think the Yes side are haters, when all the hate crimes are coming from the no side. Yet no one cares to point that out. Leo said that the governor came out today saying it was a travesty that prop 8 passed. Nice. I just hope that Obama sticks with his stance on traditional marriages and civil unions. I hope he, and other politicians can get people to see that there are equal rights without changing what marriage is and has been since the dawn of time. Oh, and one more thing, I wish I had black friends to discuss this topic with. They actually fought for equality in a very serious sense, and yet %70 of blacks voted yes on 8. Shouldn't that disprove the civil rights angle they're going for. I keep wondering what I can do now to help people understand our side. I don't see any reporter or news channel publishing it. I agree with the author in that article, that we must continue as Christ would and remain loving always. These are definitely interesting times.

Lynne said...

I totally know what you mean. I don't like hearing all the bad stuff that's going on. They are immediately attacking the Church, and they don't recognize that other people/churches were involved as well in the passing of Prop 8. I'm getting all worked up just typing about it. LOVE YOU!

Stefany said...

I know ...we are living in a different day. I keep thinking its this or traveling west pregnant in a covered wagon.... and I must have chose this!?!

Jodi said...

Great minds must think alike because I've posted the same article on my blog.

Keep your chin up, like it said in the article - President Monson knows where this is all going and we'll know too on the Lord's timetable. Better times are ahead.

Lynne said...

Happy birthday!!